Sunday, May 18, 2014

2014 Sharon Lustbader Scholar: Elizabeth Lewis

2014 Sharon Lustbader Scholar Elizabeth Lewis
with Mrs. Lustbader
Meet the 2014 winner of the Sharon Lustbader Writing Prize, Elizabeth Lewis! Elizabeth's story, Waiting for Spring, is a thoughtful meditation on the cycle of life and death, aging and expectation. Using spring and a preponderance of crocus flowers as metaphor, Elizabeth's clear, poetic prose sung a wistful and evocative song. Elizabeth will be attending Beloit College for the fall 2014 semester. It will be her first year of college. There she hopes to study Russian history. 

If you had to credit one writer, poet, novel or story as your inspiration, who or what would it be?

I would credit The Witches by Roald Dahl. His name was not the only one on my bookshelf when I was younger, nor were his books the only ones I read. But they are the ones that have stuck with me and made me look back a thousand times just to reread a page, a paragraph, a sentence again.

What advice would you give your future self?

To always travel even if it means not having much! 

Take a peek at the winning story "Waiting for Spring" >> here